Saturday, January 16, 2010

A nice little trip...

It all started off with frogs mating.

I was itchy from bug bites and what not, and my bed was uncomfortable...so I wasn't sleeping very well. Then, when the loud music from the local barraca (which is normal and I can normally sleep through) finally stopped at 10pm, the mating frogs started up. Now, all you people in the states might think you've heard frogs before, but some of these frogs sounded like they were being murdered or something. High pitched squeals emanated between the barotone croaks. Then a cat screeched at my dog. Then a dog growled at my dog, causing Vaca to whine to me...begging to be let in the house. I drifted in and out of restless sleep until 4am, when the Mosque's call to prayer told me that the sun would be up soon and I would no longer score any more z's.

So, I spent the next night at my buddy's house (and by buddy, I mean my Mozambican-doctor-mulatto buddy...there are no other Americans in my town...the only one I know of in the whole district, besides me, lives out in the boonies and I only see her a couple days every month or so).

I woke up at 5am, pretty well rested...used his comp to upload a few pix...watched the new version of Ninja Turtles dubbed in Portuguese...took a three hour trip over a bumpy road to a beach 50km away...tomar'ed banho in my undies with four other mozambican dudes in the ocean (they were better prepared and had speedos on)...caught a few waves, with my underwear threatening to wash out to sea (I hope the crabs and clams got a good look)...had some lobster which was pretty dry and unsatisfying, but only $5 US...fries and rice included...then listened to classical rock on the way back home: "What is love? Baby, don't hurt me...don't hurt me...no more..." Our driver speaks only a little English, but he loves listening to American jams. I waved to kids who randomly waved at us on the bumpy roads. I started pondering whether or not I like my new life here...a leaf from a coconut tree falling as I contemplated if I'm still in awe at being in Africa.

Not so much in awe anymore...it's more like...an awakening for me. I am here...I've been wanting to be here for a long time, and there are many things I am planning to accomplish...and I am finally here to do it.

If you don't leave the safety and comforts that you're used to...if you just follow the ebb and flow of the society you've been caught in...you'll never discover what it is that your heart really desires...well, at least for people like me, that is.

I've always felt something missing, and I think I've finally found it. It took me a couple years and a trip to the opposite side of the world...and some intensive classes and social adjustments...but I feel pretty damn lucky to live the life that I have and be the person that I am. Crazy, neh?

No comments:

Post a Comment