Thursday, January 7, 2010

Randomness

Since I'm so far behind in updating my blog, I'll just start writing random stuff.

Today at the market:
Dude (to me): Chinese man!
Me (to dude): American man!
Ingrid (to me): Sorry man.

Did you know that the quickest way to get from one moment to another is to pesada until time stops? Yes, it is quite true. (Pesada is a popular method of dancing here)

I lost count of the number of times I've been called "china" and the number of times people have asked me why I don't have a woman yet. I guess I get the china thing more, but they're both a little annoying.

My puppy is named Vaca de Plastico. He likes to play with plastic. And he's really cute. I feed him xima mixed with dried fish. Xima is kinda like mashed potatoes except it doesn't have butter and it's made with corn. It's more popular than rice here.

Ummmm....oh yeah, Vaca is cow, and Cao is dog, so...that's why he's named Vaca.

I ate some of the xima with dried fish that I made the other day before feeding it to Vaca, and then as I was spooning it out to give to him, I found some insect larvae. I thought the mixture tasted a little bitter. Oh well, more protein.

I was walking in the rain yesterday and a girl asked me if I wanted to share her umbrella with her. I told her that I was fine, but she said I would get a fever if I didn't. I said it was still very hot and so I was good...but yeah, anyway, a friend later told me that she was trying to hit on me. Did I ever mention that I met a girl at a discoteca, exchanged numbers, and then never called her? Yeah, I see her around town a lot, and it's a little awkward. Maybe I'll just say hi next time. But whatevs.

Dudes here are really touchy. And open...did I mention that...*content omitted...I'll tell you when I get back to the states*

Uh...I saw a huge snail today. They make me laugh.

Vaca likes to bark and pounce on insects. There are a lot of insects in my house. A lot of times, I'll get home and find a bunch of dead insects in my house. I don't know why they die...they just die in the middle of my floor for no apparent reason.

Ah, the insects here are crazy. I'd like to start a bug collection, but I don't have any pins or a case to stick them in.

The rainy season has started. It's very pleasant. Lalalalaa...

Uh...Did I talk about new year's yet? Well, Christmas sucked...I just stayed in my house alone. But new years was freaking awesome. Have you ever heard of Hankey Bannister? Cheap, but good. Ah...the stories I have to tell but can't...so sad, so sad...

Yesterday a gang of kids came to my house and started playing with Vaca. Then we all started dancing and they started clapping to my beat. It was pretty cool.

Okay, here's a soap box moment: I am here doing exactly what I wanted to do for a long time and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life. Life here is super tough, I lost a lot of amenities, and I'm getting paid nothing, but there is nothing I would rather be doing right now. If you never take a leap into the great beyond and search for your own true calling, you will never find out what heights you may reach.

Okay, that's done with.

Ummmmm....I've become somewhat of a celebrity here. I am the only person in town with glasses, and the kids have started making makeshift glasses out of wire and other trash...

Dude...I have no idea when I'll be able to write another post, but it's tough to think about things I haven't written yet...and can write about...uh...

Okay, I guess that's it for now. Chao-der! Miss all ya fools back in the states! Eat some fast food for me! I'm getting skinny again. The market has lots of dried fish though. Yum. With worms. Double yum. (Don't worry though, it's just the off season. Vegetables and other goodies will come back in Feb.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just COSed from Namibia and am traveling through Mozambique in a couple weeks with another RPCV. We would really like to visit some PCV sites so if you or another current volunteer can host us that would be amazing! Please email me at heather.e.reese@gmail.com if you can help us out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete